Health Care Policy
class: TRENDS IN HEALTHCARE POLICY
First Steps on Becoming a Grassroots Lobbyist/Advocate for Health Care Policy
In a Microsoft Word document of 4-5 pages formatted in APA style, you will imagine you are going to make a visit to your representative in Congress. There are two parts to this assignment.
Address the following topics:
- Develop a one-page document that supports your position on the AHCA that you would leave with your representative or his or her aide when you make your visit.
- This one-pager, also called a “leave behind,” should state your position clearly in bullet points and give your reasons why your position is preferred.
- This “leave behind” should have 1 inch margins and utilize 14-point font throughout.
- If you were making this visit in person, you would present your “leave behind” to the person with whom you speak during your visit.
- Include a second page that describes your rationale for the position in your “leave behind” page supported by at least two journal articles.
- Write a two-page brief to describe the scenario surrounding your legislative visit. Understanding the political affiliation of your representative, include answers to the following:
- Was your member in support or in opposition to the AHCA?
- State three points that you would cover in support or opposition to your representative’s position.
- How does your nursing experience influence the advocacy position that you take on the AHCA?
You may find it necessary to search for answers to the questions outside of the assigned reading.
On a separate references page, cite all sources using APA format.
TEXTBOOK: Mason, D. J., Dickson, E. L., Perez, G. A., & McLemore, A. R. (Eds). (2020). Policy & politics in nursing and health care (8th ed.). Elsevier. ISBN: 9780323554985.
READINGS: From your course textbook, Policy & Politics in Nursing and Health Care, read the following chapters:
- Advocacy in Nursing and Health Care
- Lobbying Policymakers: Individual and Collective Strategies
- The Affordable Care Act: An Uncertain Future
- Public and Population Health: Promoting the Health of the Public
- Contemporary Issues in Government
From the Internet, read the following:
- Daniels, F. B. (2017). Side by side comparison—The Affordable Care Act and the American Health Care Act. Retrieved from https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/side-by-side-comparison-the-affordable-59415/
- Kaiser Family Foundation. (n.d.). Timeline: History of health reform in the U.S. [Blog post]. Retrieved from https://kaiserfamilyfoundation.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/5-02-13-history-of-health-reform.pdf
- Lestock, J. (2017, January 13). How the congressional reconciliation process works [Web log comment]. Retrieved from https://www.ncsl.org/blog/2017/01/13/how-the-congressional-reconciliation-process-works.aspx
- The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation. (2017). Summary of the American Health Care Act. Retrieved from https://files.kff.org/attachment/Proposals-to-Replace-the-Affordable-Care-Act-Summary-of-the-American-Health-Care-Act
- National Council for Behavioral Health. (2017). Block grants, per capita caps would slash Medicaid, put beneficiaries at risk. Retrieved from https://www.thenationalcouncil.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Medicaid-Block-Grant-Per-Capita-Cap-Proposal-Fact-Sheet_Updated-March-2017.pdf
- Rudowitz, R., Valentine, A., Ubri, P., & Zur, J. (2017). Factors affecting states’ ability to respond to federal Medicaid cuts and caps: Which states are most at risk? Retrieved from https://files.kff.org/attachment/Issue-Brief-Factors-Affecting-States-Ability-to-Respond-to-Federal-Medicaid-Cuts-and-Caps-Which-States-Are-Most-At-Risk
- Kaiser Family Foundation. (2015).The Facts on Medicare Spending and Financing. Retrieved from https://www.kff.org/medicare/issue-brief/the-facts-on-medicare-spending-and-financing/
MUST COMPLETE ENTIRE ASSIGNMENT, ANSWER ALL QUESTIONS, PROOFREAD, REFERENCE AND CITE! SUBMIT AND ATTACH TO TURN IT IN!!