A series of steps
For your Midterm essay exam, you will complete 5 essay questions that focus on the course readings. Midterm essay answers must be attached as a Word document to the appropriate assignment page, not typed into the assignment student comments boxes. In addition to writing a 300 word answer, each essay question must include APA formatted citations and references (APA title page and reference page are required. Each question should be answered clearly and numbered). Students will answer each question thoroughly and completely, providing examples where required.
Answer the questions below in your Midterm exam.
- Describe the process of perception as a series of steps, beginning with the environmental stimulus and culminating in the behavioral responses of perceiving, recognizing, and acting.
- Because the long axons of neurons look like electrical wires, and both neurons and electrical wires conduct electricity, it is tempting to equate the two. Compare and contrast the functioning of axons and electrical wires in terms of their structure and the nature of the electrical signals they conduct.
- What is inference? Describe Hermann von Helmholtz’s Theory of Unconscious Inference. Compare and contrast the likeilhood principle with unconscious inference listing three similarities and three differences.
- What are the characteristics of the energy that we see as visible light? Provide an example illustrating how these characteristics are expressed when someone sees a rainbow. What types of things (situations and/or objects) can interfere with these characteristics?
- How does the eye transduce light energy into a neural message? What is the blind spot in the eye and how does it impact the transduction of light energy?